Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:00:17 +0000 (GMT)

> On 09/03/07, Jane Williams
> <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> > But all you've done is turn the problem round. A
> test
> > against what? What difficulty factor do we assign
> > travelling 10 miles in 4 hours? How does it
> compare
> > with that "run fast 17"?
>
> The narrator decides what is going to happen in the
> event of total
> victory or failure, then assigns a resistance that
> is challenging to
> someone using the ratings that the PC possesses,

Eh? No, assigns a resistance that matches how hard it is to do what the PC's trying to do. Then maybe the PC tries something else instead.

Or, do it the other way round, picks a resistance that challenges the PCs, then sets up a situation that matches that resistance. "OK, you'll never make it to the fortress in time, but luckily there's a guard-post halfway that keeps a fast courier there at all times..."

The fortress isn't suddenly going to be closer than it was last week just because that makes it easier for the players!

>I am afraid I don't see the importance in
> making sure that the resistance for Run Ten Miles
> Fast in your game is
> the same as it is in my game?

Useful if we ever meet, if we're playing at conventions, if we're trying to use the same published scenarios...

> > They need to *be* consistent, that's the entire
> point.
> > So if ten miles in 4 hours is difficulty 14 today,
> it
> > needs to be 14 tomorrow, as well. Doing it in 2
> hours
> > should be harder. So you have a conversion table.
>
> So long as it is consistent within the game it
> doesn't matter if its
> 14 or 14W5; provided it produces entertaining
> results for the game.

Sure, but to be consistent within the game, it needs to be the same answer tomorrow as it was yesterday. Does a clan champion have "hit things" at 17, or at 10W3? Is travelling 10 miles in an hour 17, or 10W3? Sure, I could make notes and build my own tables, but why should I? I could make up all my own rules and never bother to buy the book, too, if we go that route.

Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html