Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:37:09 +0000

John Machin:

> I am afraid I don't see the importance in
> making sure that the resistance for Run Ten Miles Fast in your game is
> the same as it is in my game?

I don't think anyone's saying that is important - its maintaining consistency within one's own games that's more the problem. The question, at root, seems to me to be:

  1. How do I judge what the resistance should be?
  2. How do I ensure that I am consistent in assigning the resistances?

It might be that the new rulebook could answer these questions with a few paragraphs of advice, rather than a set of tables. (Personally, I have nothing against tables like the one on HQ p. 61, but I understand that some do). But they are important questions that the rulebook should address, since a number of people *are* asking them, and finding it a difficulty. It doesn't really matter if some other people don't find them a problem, so long as a significant number of people do. That's the purpose of having advice/rules explication in a book in the first place. Which I assume you weren't disputing :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic