Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:17:22 +1100

> I don't think anyone's saying that is important - its maintaining
> consistency within one's own games that's more the problem. The
> question, at root, seems to me to be:
>
> 1) How do I judge what the resistance should be?
> 2) How do I ensure that I am consistent in assigning the resistances?
>
> It might be that the new rulebook could answer these questions with a
> few paragraphs of advice, rather than a set of tables. (Personally, I
> have nothing against tables like the one on HQ p. 61, but I understand
> that some do). But they are important questions that the rulebook should
> address, since a number of people *are* asking them, and finding it a
> difficulty. It doesn't really matter if some other people don't find
> them a problem, so long as a significant number of people do. That's the
> purpose of having advice/rules explication in a book in the first place.
> Which I assume you weren't disputing :)

No no. I like those tables, I find them pretty sufficient for me needs, to be honest. I think that some sort of table of that variety could be usefully added in all the setting/region-specific books somewhere so that you have guidelines for setting/region-specific important contests (Astrogation resistances for sci-fi things; Bureaucrat-impressing calligraphy resistances for Kralori; etc), but I don't know how much expansion is needed? Even a chart with resistances for movement over a given distance rapidly becomes complex when you add in terrain, weather, etc etc. I don't know if I want more chart in my books.

--
John Machin