Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:18:12 -0500

I agree "whatever is good for the story" is not very helpful. I'm in favour of rough guidelines and and advice. Guidelines for GMs so that published works are more or less consistent helps as well.

It seems to me the problem comes from thing that have fixed measures. Sword-fighting 10W3 is just scaled. We can argue about if it should be the average skill of a clan champion vs country champion vs super hero, but it isn't objectively measurable really.  10 miles an hour is 10W running *is* fixedly measurable. I don't think HQ does that well.

One of the appeals of HQ is that it scales so seamlessly, but that tempts people to want to put EVERYTHING on the single scale. Thus all "Fast" scores should be directly comparable. Fast for a horse and Fast for a boat and Fast for a starship are all the same and so should be scaled one against another.

I personally *don't* think this is the way to go, but I completely understand the appeal. Having to juggle sliding scales in your head isn't always fun. And if you do make it sliding scales (i.e. - Horse "Run Fast" isn't the same as People "Run Fast") then some kind of advice on how to judge resistances when two scales directly conflict should be given.

LC