Re: Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:06:48 EDT

>Relations or feelings abilities should not be there just to give
>augments or information, they must be played, they have drawbacks...
>But how can I play, describe, narrate them if I can't figure out their
>intensity ?

every ability in HQ is totally relative to its resistance, it doesnt matter if its 17, 17M, 17M2, 17M10 or whatever

dont forget that masteries cancel out, so two superheroes battling 17M7 against 12M7 is the same as 17 against 12, but that doesnt make them mundane

also, every rating measures the USEFULNESS of an ability, thats more a quality than a quantity !
i admit this can be pretty abstract sometimes, but most examples, people come up here, dont occur that way in actual play...

the mastery gives us some hint about dimension love is love, wether its 17 or 17M4
love 17 is less useful in a contest than love 17M4 and love 17M4 is more in the heroic realm, than love 17, judging from the rating alone
but i think in the end, it all depends on the story it depends on how the love ability is used in the story !

if you play a superheroes game, every character will have very high ratings so you could also cancel all the masteries out and give your superhero strength 17
that doesnt mean that superman is suddenly weaker, but it means that only heroes with equal or higher strength are able to challenge him ! contests are about challenge, not task resolution a normal human is no challenge for supermans strength, so we would never roll that !

ratings dont measure abilities in the way we are used to from traditional rpg“s, thats the hard part, to wrap your head around...