Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Boris yarko <babeldemeter3_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:43:57 -0000

But I wasn't there to read it... :) even if I can understand your weariness.

> Abilities come in two parts - the description and the
> score. The description determines the applicability of
> the ability to a conflict, the score determines how
> effective the ability is at resolving conflicts in the
> character's favour.
>
> You can have "wipe out the planet in one blow 13" as
> an ability, but if it ends up in a conflict with
> another characters slightly less megalomaniac "twat
> 'em with big stick 10W4" guess who's going to come off
> worse? Hint: It's not the geezer with the big stick.

If you don't find that a guy with "incarnation of war" (5M1) is beatten by a lad with "neophyte fencer" offends against common sense. so be it...

But I have difficulties to understand it. In this case the "neophyte fencer" is not really a neophyte or is blessed by fate. There should be some explanation...

Your point of view is easy to comprehend when the descriptions set a huge gap between the two challengers : "run like the wind" vs "best runner in our clan". The fisrt one can't be beaten. Point.

But when the difference is not so clear : "run like a galloping horse" (17) vs "increedible runner" (17), how do you in practice handle the conteste ?
Give some bonus to the guy with "rune like a galloping horse" ?

Just tell me.