Re: Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:57:09 +0000

Toksickburn_at_... wrote:

> We dont need to simulate a fight between spiderman strength 12 and
> godzilla strength 12m10, because godzilla will win this fight anyway!
> There is no drama in rolling this contest !

Yes, but he's not talking about such an extreme example. Your example is like saying that we don't need to roll contests for any swordfights because Achilles with 12M10 will always beat Aunt May with 12.

The situation at issue isn't these extremes, but all those individuals who have their superstrength somewhere in the middle. We need to be able to judge Iron Man against Hulk against Thor against The Thing against Luke Cage against Colossus...

For me, one of the strongest features of HeroQuest is that everything is measured by the ability rating. You want to know if an ability is powerful? Look for a big number. A "17" always competes on an even footing with another "17". It doesn't matter what they're called.

Adding another layer of complexity, so that one has to remember that a "17" in certain types of abilities trumps a lower rating in other types of abilties is confusing and counter-intuitive. It adds unnecessary complexity. HeroQuest needs to be kept simple. It needs to play to its strengths rather than to add more "special cases" in the rules.

These kind of special cases are annoying to new players: "What do you mean my 5M isn't better than his 17 this time? Why's it different all of a sudden?". They're like booby traps. HeroQuest is fundamentally a simple system. What's wrong with keeping it simple?

Regards,

Bruce