Re: Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:57:19 EDT

>1)players are trying something unexpected : "I challenge this humakti
>guy to single combat". Then the gamemaster needs a scale to estimate
>if "this humakti guy" should probably be a challenge, a victim, or the
>nemesis of the bully player.

Why do we need a scale for this situation ? Say our hero has close combat 5M

If we want him to be a challenge we make him of equal strength. If we want him to be a hard nut we give him a small advantage say +5 = 10M. If we want him to predominate we will add +20= 5M2. Etc.

>2)players rise in power : after some month of playing, the scale has
>changed and its more and more difficult to keep things consistent,
>logic. Players need new challenges which enable them to understand to
>what level of power they are now. Because the tiny numbers on their
>sheets need to mean something...

Story, not numbers !
If all thats challenging, are foes with bigger ratings you´re doing something wrong IMO. This is not D&D !