Re: Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 01:44:02 +0000

Ian Cooper wrote:

> 1: How do we estimate the resistance
> To which there seem to be two schools of thought
> - The narrator makes up the numbers on the fly according to the
> level of tension he wants to create. The difficulty of reaching
> Stonegate on time is 5W...
> - The narrator uses some yardstick of difficulty to provide
> internally consistent resistances. Let's see Stonegate is 7 miles away
> and you need to get there in an hour, 7 miles an hour is forced march
> which has a difficulty of 7W.

Maybe I'm some sort of bad wrong thinker, but I'm not convinced that these two alternatives are completely mutually exclusive. Including some real world yardsticks in no way prevents anyone from setting their Resistances according to dramatic need instead.

Personally, I'd favour including advice on both alternatives as they're both valid approaches. I've certain used both of them at different times, going with whichever strikes me as most appropriate for the situation at hand.

> 2: Does the rating 'measure' the ability
> Again there are two schools of thought

There does seem to be another variable being discussed here, independently of whether you put a ceiling on the rating for 'mundane' abilities. It's the suggestion that 'similar' abilities with different narrative qualities/names ought to be treated differently. Following this argument, Superhuman Strength 17 would automatically beat Strongest Man In Town 10W2.

On the other hand, some people feel that it's simpler to, if an ability is supposed to be so powerful, give it a higher rating. After all, that's what Masteries are for.

Regards,

Bruce