Re: Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:52:04 +0000 (GMT)

There's a fundamental point you're missing here - quality of an ability (in so far as it's use for beating something else in a contest) is a function of the NUMBER, not the DESCRIPTION. The rules go as far as saying that you can add all the superlatives you want to an ability and it doesn't change the utility of it.

Description -> number of situations you can use the ability in

Score - how effective it is when you find something you can apply it to

You're "I am death incarnate 13" can probably be used in a lot more situations than "I've been to a few fencing classes 10W4" but it's going to be pretty ineffectual.

It's a similar thing to the pompous magic rules - you can call an ability what you want, but that doesn't make your characters any more effective when they find a way of applying the ability.

Ash

http://us.click.yahoo.com/4It09A/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/7tRolB/TM >