Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Boris yarko <babeldemeter3_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:06:27 -0000

So there's no point in increasing an obviously weak ability as "neophyte scholar" or "amateur swordsman" because it would be useless...

If my character begins with "amateur swordsman 13" and then is caught in a great war against a selenite empire. He would probably acquire some weaponskill.
What should I do ?
1) increase my "amateur swordsman" ? But you're telling me that even if I get "amateur swordsman 5W4" I will still be defeated by a bastard with "genius fencer 13"
2) so I will take an another weaponskill like "veteran soldier 13". And I still have my useless "amateur swordsman 13".

Then there must be rules to change the description of your ability : "amateur swordsman" would become "veteran soldier". But what's the cost in hero points ?
I think it's trickier to establish a scale of description than to have a scale of numbers.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Second, what the meaning of the number if the descripion prevail ? What means "novice sorcerer 5W3" ?

I can perfectly understand your point aview if abilities are described without rank number. But the combination of a rank number and a description which implies some intensity like "run like the wind" makes the rule system absurd.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Last point, I haven't see many : "run like the wind" or "genius fencer" in the heroquest rulebook.

Much ability descriptions are neutral, the intensity of the ability is nearly nerver described : brave, strong, seduce, chaste, mythology... yes, but never "really strong", "dangerous foe", and so on.

It implies that ability descriptions only give you the field of action and the rank number its intensity : "sword 5W1" is weaker than "spear and shield 5W2".

Heroquest p. 275, I can find : "leap to top of Kero Fin 10W9". It implies that with "leapfrog playing 10W10" I can try to reach Kero Fin'summit.
So the rank gives the intensity, the power, the strength of the abilty, not the description.

If not what's the difficulty to reach kero Fin's summit with

"giants'leap 10W4" ? 10W9 too as it is stated in the dear Robin Laws
Heroquest rulebook ? the same difficulty encountered when you get only
"good leaper 10W4" ?

No, in your point of view, it can't be. The difficulty number will vary.

So you're not playing Heroquest any more, but something else. No wrong with that, it's cool. But do not tell us that we haven't understand the heroquest rules...

Your Heroquest Will Vary, as mine.

Boris