Tricky situations

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:23:15 -0400

   A couple of others leap to mind.

  1. Switching from one contest to another.

 When do you decide one contest has ended and another has begun? The rules as written specifically allow for switching goals within a contest, so it isn't as simple as that. This seems more a problem for an extended contest than a simple contest, obviously. But if in the middle of a dance competition I decide to stab my opponent to death, does the AP change? How about if I am talking my way out of an execution, and suddenly make a bolt for the door?

2) Discrete steps within an extended contest.

  This is for those contests that aren't just one person against another. I recently had Mike Holmes describe doing a dungeon crawl as one extended contest. I found that very helpful. Extended contests can cover all kinds of situations, and that's great, but sometimes they are tricky to figure out.

 Say if one did a running battle across town as an extended contest. If one defeats a rival gang on the way, does that gang disappear? How does one narrate that? Can they come back? Again, this spills over into "does an AP change result in any mechanical effect"?

 I think examples of extended contests that are not fights or are not simple 1 on 1 situations would be very helpful.

LC