RE: Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: DreadDomain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:11:09 -0400

-----Message d'origine-----
De : HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com

Yes but...

> HQ is capable of providing a scale, thats true, but i think thats
> misleading.
> Stop looking at the scale. Look at the story you want to narrate with your

> players. And everything comes from there. Every opposing rating is defined
> by
> the story, not from simulating a universe.

Yes, I totally understand your point there. What you say makes a lot of sense and can be very enjoyable if this is how you want to play.

But, it totally misses the goal of my initial demand. You see people are trying their best to be helpful and send waves after waves of examples of how it could be done without any guidelines. When I asked for a few tables with guidelines of measurable abilities, I was aiming at people like me that enjoy to play differently than you do. I totally understand your way of playing and I could play it that way. I just don't enjoy it. I prefer using real guidelines over "letting the resistance be whatever the story needs to be". I prefer to simulate a universe within the very flexible narrativist system that is HQ. This is how the brains of my group work. There is nothing misleading about it. It is just our way to have MGF.

My request was thus to keep HQ pretty much as it is but to provide some guidelines for the portion of people who like me prefer to play it a little bit less loose. I am not asking about pages and pages of charts and calculation, only 3 to 5 tables giving guidelines. From there, people will be free to use them as a starting point or ignore them totally.