Re: Tricky situations List

From: Mandacaru <samclau_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:37:28 -0000

Bruce Ferrie wrote:
> The Grand Staredown feels much more dramatic if you don't make it
something that happens "before" the Extended Contest (e.g., just an augment or some such). If it's played out as the first exchange or two in the Extended Contest, it feels much more dramatic.

But also for a simple contest, as "just an augment or somesuch", if you have your wits about you...

You can play out a lot of the events of a contest wherein players narrate their augments (I stare him down +2), even as exchanges (he farts tremendously +3 / I hawk and spit on his boot +1 / I ask if his wife's little "problem" has cleared up yet +2, and so on, even exchanging blows, using chandeliers and so on) before the crunch (small c) moment of actually rolling the simple contest.

Such an example, to my mind, could make a nice exposition of how to get the most out of simple contests without having to resort to the longer form.

Sam.