A new guy with basic character creation questons

From: Richard Evans <richard_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:42:43 +0100

Hi All
(apologies in advance for spelling mistakes..)

Im new in town & have some slightly embarrassing questions on character generation.

Basically I think Im missing something, having read the book a couple of times Im still not sure how to make a character so I was hoping I could bounce the following off the list & see if im right.

You eithier write a hundred word background or just a list of 10 keywords, for example :-

01.Heortling
02.Warrior
03.worships Humakt - Storm aspect
04.Excellent rider
05.uses a two handed sword
06.Has a magic cloak that blends into any natural surroundings
07.Wears soft leather armour handed down through the family, specially
crafted it offers more protection than usual
08.Part of the ...................................
09.Posses a well / personally trained war horse 10.Poor - lives off the land.

So if Im reading it right this then brakes down as follows

01.

        This one gives you ALL skills under the Culture paragraph for Heortlings 02.

        This gives you ALL the skills under the occupation of Warrior for Heortling. 03.

        Defines which god the character worships & another set of skills depending on that god.
04 & 05

        Goes in as a skill
06 & 07

        Appears on the character sheet as a magic item. 08.

        Will give him yet more skills / magic depending on the group he joins 09

        Appears on the character sheet as normal items 10

        Statement of money / living conditions

How does this look ????????

My next question is a little shorter. If I have a spell called "Shield Breaker" I assume that the reason there are no explanations of what this does is that it & all spells literally do what & the GM just keeps adding modifiers depending on what your trying to do.

Cheers

Richard Evans