Re: Re: Tricky situations List

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:00:03 -0700

> IIRC, if a follower doesn't lend AP, but just aguments, then he's not
> affected by this. Something like that. I always have to look it up. But
> the
> point is that basically I give the player the choice of which mechanic to
> use, and by which they choose to use, the player decides if they're
> risking
> the follower or not in the current contest.

Not in the Rules as Written, it isn't, though I think someone suggested it long ago (it might even have been me, come to that).

The "Followers suffer one level worse" mechanic is intended to focus attention on the hero, but it certainly has to be modified to fit the situation - frex, if the follower isn't involved in the combat he might not be affected at all.

As always, remember the First Rule (the one on page 10, not the *other* First Rule, on page 177): "Play the Story, not the Numbers" - if it doesn't make sense that a follower be affected, don't affect him. If it makes sense that the hero dies, kill him. If it is better for the story that the villain get away, let him. The rules fully support this sort of narration.

RR