Re: Tricky situations List

From: Mandacaru <samclau_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:01:08 -0000

Paul Albertella <glorantha_at_...> (much as I like him) wrote:
> The 1 in 400 is misleading, I think, because it only applies in
the simple contest case. Any sufficiently dramatic contest should surely be run as an extended contest, whereupon the potential for mayhem becomes much greater. AP bidding allows it to be as lethal as you like! And then there's HP bumping...

...available to PC's. Few NPC's have HP, according to the way things run.

Jane is right about the choice of which contest to use. I can imagine a simple contest being *far* more interesting for that big moment. And for others too. I personally overuse the things - don't know if you've noticed that?

And EC's have escape routes for PC's to avoid complete defeats.

Meanwhile, Nic suggested a strategy by which a narrator can get a complete defeat. Well, I'm unlikely to strategise to that extent, you know me....it just is not common.

And I'm starting paragraphs with conjunctives (conjunctions?) now. Virge Maria.

How many "dying"'s have you seen result from EC's? For PC's?

> And even without the benefit of extravagant bidding or judicious
HP spending, your cherished Complete Defeat results become much more likely when you factor in a coup de grace after one's opponent has been rendered hors de combat.

...for PC's. In an EC. (Now I'm using almost-acronyms to death). This debate started on the risk to the PC's...

> There's nowt wrong with the mechanics, in my opinion. If PCs very
rarely 'die' in HQ, or even have the threat of 'death' hanging over them, then that's because of the way that we tend to *use* those mechanics, not because of any deficiency in the numbers.

You're speaking neurthern now, Paul.

No, I can't agree with you. 1 in 400 for a straight face off using swords for someone to *approach* death? I'm not a big simulationist, but that is pushing it. We need a mastery difference to make dying possible in a simple contest. In an extended contest we need players to be bloody stupid to get one. Well, that's a touch mean, but it isn't likely.

Do you expect a PC of yours, going into a contest, to run the risk of "dying"? Doubt it, whatever the contest structure. If you want that risk or no is a different discussion, but I don't believe the rules as they stand confer it.

Sam.