Re: Re: Tricky situations List - damage to followers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:27:20 -0700

>> But it's also a trope of most heroeic stories that
>> the followers are there to 'take a bullet" for the
>> heroes, if they are mentioned at all.
>
> True, but....
>
> let me quote at you a bit of the tactics notes from an
> NPC I believe you wrote up, and who personally I
> regard as the ultimate PC.
> "Kallyr protects Ernaldesta whenever she accompanies
> the band into combat."

Aaaaand the important word is "most" (heroic stories). Most is, as I know you are well aware, not All.

As far as your dungeon-bashing crack, followers dying in droves comes from millenia before Gygax and Arneson - Odysseus had twelve ships (approx. 600 men) when he left for Troy. And he had how many men when he returned?

I think the tactics notes for the various heroes came from Greg, and I just added numbers, but it's been a while.

Anyway, if Robin is still reading... What happens to followers can be another place to put some effort in alternatioves.

And another one from me: What can you do to a defeated enemy (as in "I tie him up...then slit his throat").

RR