Can Heroquest do Gamism?

From: cornponk <cornponk_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 04:00:09 -0000

Looking forward to Questworlds coming out. One thing that got me thinking was the comment by Robin that he will be `scraping the sim aspects' from the game. I've also read posts by HQ gamers that they play HQ in a gamist way (can't find them now).

This got me thinking, "Can Heroquest do gamism?"

I'm sure this will disturb the minds of the narrativist purists, and rightly so, the author himself has put an overt narrative bent on it. I think I'm a gamist at heart but I can't get away from the simplicity and effectiveness of the HQ system.

Obviously when you think about it, it becomes a very different game. Gamism needs restrictions and balance. The chargen would have to be a lot stricter for example, there might be stricter limits on the number and types of augments, and very set keywords and abilities etc.

But the questions still remains; is it possible? How would you go about it? Or why bother?

Bill.