Re: Can Heroquest do Gamism?

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:39:32 -0000

cornponk:
>>This got me thinking, "Can Heroquest do gamism?"

[snippage]

>>But the questions still remains; is it possible? How would you go
>>about it? Or why bother?

Well I'll be undertaking an experiment along these lines in a few weeks that might shed light on the matter - I've been running an old school D&D scenario (Heart of Nightfang Spire) for my regular Monday night game over the last few weeks and once we've finished it my intention is to translate everything into HQ terms and rerun the scenario using the HQ engine.

One of the reasons I'm doing this is my impression that HQ as currently written is an excellent game for a group who has deep knowledge of a particular corpus of background knowledge and setting (providing them with enough tools and flexibility of mechanics to riff off of that knowledge without cluttering things up with too many rules-as-embedded-setting elements and special cases) but that it can be challenging for a group who don't have that deep knowledge (the mechanics aren't explicitly hooked in to the setting as in most other games, so there's a tendency for people to spin their wheels). The idea is to leverage the massive amount of tacit knowledge most gamers have of the D&D ruleset to provide the various 'limitations and balance' elements of gamism that would otherwise be provided by an expert Glorantha-phile's knowledge of the way things work on the cube and to use that knowledge to inform how we frame the various contests and outcomes as they arise in the game.

The other reason is to showcase HQ in direct comparison with D&D of course. I reckon I can use HQ to get to the meat of an old school dungeoneering scenario whilst avoiding most of the grind that a heavy ruleset like D&D imposes - only using the heft of those rules for colour and description during the game. I'm also reasonably confident that what looks like it will take about a dozen or so (admittedly quite short) sessions to play through in D&D, can be handled in a maximum of three sessions of HQ play.

Regards
Luke