Re: The Captives Problem

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:13:17 -0000

Wow, we sure differ here. I forget the exact number, but didn't they find in the first world war that only something like 10% of soldiers would deliberately shoot and kill an enemy? That is, almost all would shoot in that general direction, but given a clear shot and almost certainty of killing, few could pull the trigger.

I suspect that the same applies to blades. Anyone can kill in anger if made made enough, or just be fighting to win and end up killing in the process. But Humakti aside (and maybe they are teh exception that proves teh rule) I suspect most people keep fighting until they feel they are safe--the other person stops fighting back, is disarmed and gives up, etc.

So certainly in my version of the world, 'kill' would be the exception as goals go.

-Bryan