Re: Can Heroquest do Gamism?

From: Mandacaru <samclau_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:37:43 -0000

Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> Maybe you've got my problem. I can do gamism. I can do
> roleplaying. I can't do both at once, and I can't
> easily swap between the two modes. That being said, I
> find sliding from gamism to role-play much easier than
> the other way round. I've had most fun when wargaming
> when I slide into roleplaying mode, but my best
> successes have been with an army so abstract that I'm
> forced to stay gamist. But going roleplay to gamist -
> no. It hurts. The story's flowing, the scenery is
> being chewed, and then you suddenly have to work out
> bidding odds - ouch!

Yes, I never found the knight telling the bishop he was going to chat the queen up then do away with the king very helpful.

I find in an extended contest I choose my bid (for example) on the basis of how expansive I want to be and how much longer I want the contest to last. That said, that is PbEM. FTF I played a bit at the start, with counters for AP and that probably made that aspect more interesting.

Sam.