Re:Can Heroquest do Gamism?

From: Mandacaru <samclau_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:50:02 -0000

Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> Yeah.... it's not something I've ever tried, but I can
> see the attraction from the description. How to make
> it work in PBeM, though? The best possibility I can
> see is for the player to list the augments they want
> to apply in order of importance, then teh GM puts them
> on the scales one by one, and we know which one tipped
> the balance.

Keith rolled for the contest an then allowed you to go for the augment to change the outcome, if it was in the range where that could happen.

This relies on using rolled augments and works well.

> Could someone run through exactly how it's meant to
> work again, please?

Keith would have to explain it properly, but I think it is pretty much as above, but is amplified by his use of d10's and skills 1-10 thence to the next mastery

> At what point do you stop adding augments? Does each side take
turns?

It was only ever one augment. This has implications of its own of course, but does fit with Keith's opinion that there are too many abilities in the game.

Does each side take turns? Ummm...NPC no, I would guess, unless it is fun. Two PC's, guess so.

Dunno, this is why I said it would be interesting to look at it :)

> And is it perhaps
> worth putting a few in to start with, when you know
> you're definitely going to be using them (you spent
> most of yesterday persuading the clan to give you
> community support, I think you might use it...), then
> adding "extras" post-roll?

I think the initial idea was to speed things up (if the augment makes no difference to the outcome, don't consider it). I personally like going through the pre-roll augments a bit (in theory) in advance when it is important.

Sam.