Re: The fundamental that actually frustrates me with the HQ system

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:28:35 -0000

> Apart from saying that was a Hero Point spend you are right.
> In an extended contest the small augments individually don't make much
> of a difference.

Well, I think they matter to some degree more in extended than simple, for two reasons:

  1. the couple of extra AP could be critical. In an even contest with more conservative bidding that could make the difference.
  2. aside from winning more often, there will also be more good wins--minor instead of marginal for example. I've not crunched the numbers on those. But there will be a somewhat higher percentage of 'better result than otherwise' than of strictly 'win versus loss.' Again this matters most when there are more bids.

So I think augments are a little more influential in extended contests than in simple contests.

Two additional notes:

  1. None of this will stop me from augmenting as much as I can!
  2. This is not a question of 'are augments influential enough?' If you made augments bigger you'd still have the issue that they were more influential at bigger differences.

Regards;

--Bryan