Re: Starting APs

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:24:15 +0200

> > From: Mikael Raaterova [mailto:ginijji_at_t...]
>> >If Evil Meldek casts a turn-to-frog spell upon you from afar, you
>> >*can* defend yourself with "swordsman
>

>> I hadn't seen counter-attack as defence, me. I didn't think
>swordsman would
>> be a good response to turn-to-frog.
>
>My problem with this is that in a previous thread I had suggested
>defending with Sword and Shield, assuming if your defence wins, the
>Rank of your sword counts toward the AP loss of the 'attacker'. I was
>told it does not.

Not that i use ranks, but if the rank functions an edge it *does* count toward your opponent's AP loss when you win an exchange *wherein you use your sword against your opponent* (unless someone changed the rules for edges *again*).

>Therefore, it seems to me that counter-attack is
>NOT applicable as a defence! If it were, surely your weapon would be
>effective.

I don't think that follows, logically. Just because, rules-wise, your edge/rank wasn't effective (assuming that that is actually the case) when winning the exchange as a defender, it doesn't mean that counter-attacks are not applicable as actions for the defender. Since counter-attacks are realistically applicable as defender's actions, then the mechanics are wrong if they imply they aren't.

I try to play the Game, not the Rules. The Rules should be fitted to the game, not vice versa.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]