Re: Re: HeroQuest for Supers...

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:05:02 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I've used HQ for a port of a V&V game. It works like a dream and saved the endless fannying about with all the details that were great when I was 17 and thought Aftermath and Runequest were the ultimate expressions of RPG reality.

The thing that struck me was how much more creative with HQ. Admittedly two of the four had played Gloranthan HQ but the other two were dyed in the wool RQ players [1]. with V&V we'd got very tied up in quantities, HQ set us free from that [2]. None of the characters had anything like any of the variable powers from Champions but most of the mechanics came out in the wash.

As you seem to want (forgive me if I've been reading your posts wrong) what's effectively a Super Hero wargame with punch ups connected by roleplaying interludes then stick to Champions - it's great for that. On the other hand if you fancy having Spider Man getting an augment for wisecracking his opponents or The Thing getting an augment for "defending" Alicia when he catches her talking to the Silver Surfer then give HQ a spin.

Cheers,

Ash

[1] I got them to try HQ by "forgetting" my V&V rules to a session.

[2] which is why I'm dead against comparative scales of how difficult things are in relation to abilities - I don't want to have to create a table to work out the difficulty of Absolute Zero creating a cube of ice 30' on a side.