Re: QW - apparently arbitrary rules

From: Camo <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:49:03 -0400

On Mar 31, 2007, at 8:00 PM, Jane Williams wrote:
> --- Camo <DaveCamo_at_...> wrote:
>
> > You are correct that the follower is an extension of
> > the hero,
> > mechanically. But only mechanically. The follower is
> > still an
> > independent entity even if he acts in the control of
> > the hero. In
> > what story do we ever see the follower doing heroic
> > deeds?
> >
> > Camo
>
> Lord of the Rings? There's an extensive section
> towards the end when Frodo is using Sam's abilities,
> and it looks like he's using HP, too.

I agree that Sam uses HP but I would argue that he's also a Hero in his own right and not a follower. Just because he's fiercely loyal to Frodo and starts out as a hired hand, I definitely feel he's a capital H Hero. If I remember correctly, Beat Pot starts out pretty much the same way. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong... :-)

On Mar 31, 2007, at 8:13 PM, L.Castellucci wrote:
> Depending on how "follower" is defined, sure.
>
> I would argue that Wiglaf is clearly Beowulf's follower, but he's
> the one who
> comes back and hits the dragon's weak spot, killing it.
>
> LC

Just because someone is under the command of someone else doesn't mean that they are the leader's follower. Lancelot is certainly a Hero in his own right and not Arthur's follower.

If you think about it, anyone who uses a Hero Point must be, by definition, a Hero. All this being said, Rory makes a good point when he talks about a Hero using a HP to bump a follower as long as they are together. I would take this a bit further and say that the player must state how the Hero is aiding the follower by using the HP. For example, the Hero is pointing out some claw marks on a tree to aid in the follower's Tracking ability.

Camo