Re: Re: QW - apparently arbitrary rules

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 23:01:01 +0100 (BST)

Followers are a bit more than a keyword of restricted breadth - you can add the value of follower's abilities to a character's initial advantage points in an extended contest for example. This is just another example of special casing that makes the game confusing for players in my experience.

I like the idea of everything being an ability [1] that works identically at a mechanical level. You can roll against it or augment with it. Stuff the rest. In fact get rid of every table in the game except the contest outcome ones (and come up with simple heuristics that allow you to avoid using even that table).

One other thing I'd do is separate out the result of a conflict (i.e. whether a character achieved it's goals) from the long term mechanical results of the contest (i.e. the effects on the protagonist's abilities). At the risk of sounding even more like a spotty Lumpley fan-boy than I am in reality DitVY has got this spot on with the way you accumulate fall out during a conflict independently of whether you win or loose.

Anyway I'll shut up now before I sound really Calvinist about the whole thing.

Cheers,

Ash

[1] I can't say I'm too hot on using the word "ability" - that seems to imply that it's something the character can do when it's quite often a statement of what the character is.