Re: Chained contest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:58:30 +0100 (BST)

> I may have done something a bit silly - I started a
> chained contest

> I don't actually remember how they work. It's a bit
> like when I got on
> a horse and it started cantering across a village
> square - I had to
> try to remember how you stop the things (they'd
> given me a racehorse).

I suspect you're looking for complication that isn't there.

You do a simple contest. Unless you manage total victory/defeat, the result is that the situation changes a bit, and one side or the other takes "damage" - perhaps a -1? That damage carries through to the next simple contest, if it applies to it.

All contests are separate, so you don't need to worry about changing abilities, changing who's involved, that kind of thing. Set it up new each time, if that makes sense. Just remember the "damage" isn't automagically healed, and there you go.

Each simple contest should *be* a new contest, of course. No "I try the same thing again". Either the aim, or the abilities used, should vary. "I hit him again with my sword, but now I'm really trying to attack, not just to find out how good he is". "Drat, he's better than I thought, I'll call up some more magic."

The whole thing stops when the participants decide it's stopped.