Re: QW - apparently arbitrary rules

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:59:04 -0000

Hi Robin

Have you thought of any solution to the common 'how many augments conundrum'. What I mean by that is the handling time issue. Some players get ticked off while their fellow player hunts for augments on their sheet.

There is also the issue that players end up with a battery of augments and no longer describe them in the game, just add them in appropriate situations, which I think sort of defeats the objective a little. I feel that using an augment should be described with a flourish in order to get the bonus. But after 10 or so augments and similar ones to boot, you get the handling time issue creep back in.

Because I had players at polar opposites to each other in this augmenting regard in my long running campaign it became difficult to quantify contests. The same contest would be different for similar characters purely based on player input. In the end whatever augments a player had come up with, I would apply a similar value of augments to the difficulty of the contest. As a GM I never really felt completely comfortable with it as a technique, but then I do have a bit of a gamist inside and it always felt a bit like a cheat.

In Hero Wars the abilities were split down into sections. One group I heard of would allow one applicable augment per section.

Regards
Rob