Re: HeroQuest for Supers...

From: richard_miyares <richard_miyares_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 23:34:51 -0000

The gentleman you need to chat with used to go by Captain Spaulding on rpg.net and runs this nifty site:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bferrie/resources/index.htm

He used to host super hero material before some of it was recruited, if I'm not mistaken, for QuestWorlds material. I don't know the current state of the material or the gentleman. I got his advice about converting DC Universe Rpg write-ups to Heroquest and it was quite helpful.

Style-wise, HQ may not be your group's bag for supers gaming. Champions is fantastic at providing numbers for enjoyment. However, I find that treating all abilities mechanically the same depending on their usefulness in the situation makes it possible to have fantastic scenes where abilities like "ruthlessness", "megalomania", "steely gaze", and "smile for the camera" can sway the course of a conflict. Notice I said conflict and not combat. If you read most comics, they are light on the combat and heavy on the lying, investigation, intimidation, subterfuge, witty banter, political infighting, and introspection. Most recently, Captain America died due to the superb machinations of the villain, not a devastating martial arts combo or flashy one-on-one knockdown drag-out. In the comics, most super heroes  are defeated by having their reputation or confidence ruined. Usually, when they fail to live up to their heroic reputation. Sadly, I, like most people spend the majority of my time and attention re-reading the cool fight scenes more than the drama. Maybe your group is the same way.

Just my 2c.
Richard