Re: Spirit Combat; magic; characters

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:02:53 -0700

Stephen asked

>If a fear spirit attacks a non-shaman character, what skills can he use to
>defend and attack the spirit?
>Can he use his highest magic ability? Or does he have to use a skill like
>Strong Willed?
>If yes to the latter, if he doesn't have any such skill, is his resistance
>the default 14 or skill default 6, and does that only account for defending
>or defending and attacking?

I'd treat this as a magical attack. Thus, you can defend with your most relevant ability (Strong Willed would be perfect). I don't think the highest magic would be relevant in this case, but if the character were designed such that no resisting abilities were at least 14 after improvisational modifiers, then yes, he'd defend with "inner reserves" (or some such) at 14.

Jeff answered

>You use something appropriate like Brave. The Sprit Combat skill is
>only used to Initiate challenges.

I'd certainly allow Spirit Combat here...

Richard wondered

>Have I understood correctly that, apart from restricted use fetishes, there
>is no limit on the amount of use of a spell/feat/spirit-ability

Correct. You are after all a powerful individual.

On the other hand, losing a contest involving magic may render you unable to use that magic for a while, so it's not entirely a free lunch.

A different Richard asked about character creation.

> Will give him yet more skills / magic depending on the group he joins

Typically not -- this gives him an ability like Relationship: Voshfrei Clan. (In my Ralios game, this would give you one clan-specific magical ability, but not in my Jrusteli game.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein