Re: Re: HQ Beginner - Character Generation questions and ducks

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:07:48 +0100 (BST)

> "Puma person" is a species, like "Human" or "Troll".
>
> It is also a culture, like "Gypsy"
>
> Being able to shapechange is a Species trait.
> Being an animist is a cultural trait.
>
> The problem is that we use the same words to
> describe two seperate "keywords".

FLAG - we were looking for things to note for the new version of the rulebook. This would appear to be one. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it's something to look at.

> Yep. unless otherwise specified, a Heortling is a
> lay member of the storm tribe, a Dara
> hAppan is a lay member of the yelmic faith, etc.

Although I believe the "norm" for Heortlings (though not for other cultures) is to be an initiate?

> I suspect that diucks have a seperate religion and
> culture that we just haven't seen yet.
> *I* don;'t buy the purported "fact" that Ducks are
> eoither hertling or Orlanthi.

I'm just starting to look at this myself, but I'd guess this isn't the right list for the purpose. I'd started things on the main Glorantha list - you know, the one that used to be a "Digest". If you've got ideas...

> > But I think there's room for PCs to get away with
> such.
>
> PCs are supposed to be special.

Though being weird should not be compulsory.

> Players will tend to concentrate their magic,
> because you get special bonuses and crunchy
> stuff whenh you do. Some players won't, for whatever
> reason. But few Gloranthans
> concentrate their magic precisely because they lose
> all those little charms and feats and
> spells and talents that have been part of their
> environment.

And as Mike (I think) said, this is one of the things I hate about the concentration system. I hate having my role-playing head and my gamist head pulling me in opposite directions. If you could just use CM actively, so it was worth having, that would help. But a few more +1 augments... wow, big deal. That or a +5 to the real magic. Hard choice.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/