Re: HQ Beginner - Character Generation questions

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:56:48 -0000

> >Thought like a true Player, not a gloranthan.
>
> Thanks! Glad that I'm not being mistaken for a character from a world
> created by Greg Stafford. That would be disturbing.

Oh, I tend to be very careful to distincguish between real world and fantasy worlds, and have no problem figuring which one you're in.

Actually, my comment goes to the difference between a player of glorantha, and what an "inhabitant of Glorantha" would do in the same situation.

An inhabitant of glorantha has much fewer options available to him/her. You grow up on the stead or in the city or wherever, and you get the common magic that your family knows - some may be charms, some spells, etc. You don't *get* the chance to cherry-pick the style of your common magic, because that's not the way your family got it in the first place. And very few inhabitants of Glorantha have "natural Magic", so that's not an option to them either.
In some cultures, the religion a person follows (down to the subcult of a god god, or practice in a tradition) is laid out for the rest of their life at the moment of birth. In others, "the god chooses you", and what their adult occupation/religion will be is not known until puberty.

Players, on the other hand, have free rein to cherrypick culture, religion, magic, abilities, etc to create an "avatar" for a fun time.

Some players like to chose an avatar that fits the "Gloranthan mode" and so choose a mixture of common magic, and don't worry about what will happen when/if they concentrate their magic. Others like to find the "most efficient" character. Both ways are equally valid.

You, Mike, like the "most efficient character" method. But that method is not really available to a "gloranthan inhabitant". So my comment - you're thinking like a player, not a gloranthan.

RR