Re: QW - How many augments (to Mr Laws)

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:26:39 -0700

Kevin

>I treat all keywords as if they were Affinities - only one ability can be
>used per keyword in a single contest. The use of the main ability counts as

This assumes you organize your sheet by keyword. I use an alphabetic approach, so I don't have to remember where a particular skill lives. (And what happens if more than one keyword gives the same ability?)

Therefore, I don't know that this is a good rules suggestion.

I may have said so already, but in our games, it's trivial to get +20 in an ability that's important to you. But there was a consensus that in the next game I run, we would limit it to 3 augments (or whatever Robin comes up with).

I think they wouldn't necessarily be the same three (though there is that danger). With a small enough number that they could actually be mentioned, it would be easier for a narrator to apply situational modifiers. Especially if one were to have contest consequences affect abilities. For example, if you lose a fight in which you used Strong, perhaps you overdid it and strained a muscle, and that ability is -10 in the next contest.

I was originally a fan of the change in HeroQuest, but it helps exaggerate the difference between characters (such that you can't have combat for more than one), and it makes it hard as narrator to provide resistance, since you can't just look at the player's best abilities to gauge where they'll and up.

Ian

>1: To use an augment you must narrate how it helps in that roll.

Well, that's sure going to slow down the game. I *could* explain each and every augment, each and every time. But I think you reach a point of diminishing returns -- if you're running an action scene, describing a dozen augments is going to detract from the storytelling.

FWIW, we don't usually change them from round to round. They are after all automatic augments. I don't stop Hating Lunars after one round.

Mike

>62.4% of all RPG characters are orphans

Hmm, the SFC games must be pretty atypical. I mean, characters had their parents die in the game, but they were already adults. I can't think of a single orphan character in our games.

--

David Dunham