RE: Re: HQ Beginner - Character Generation questions

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:18:29 -0500

>Might be a bit too influenced by Mike now, who seems to propose that
>Natural Magic is free-for-all and take as much as you like. Mike, if
>that's reading your intentions wrongly, please tell me so.

There is no rule that says that one cannot take more than one natural magic ability. In fact it explicitly says that, though you should be careful to have an in-game story explanation for the aquisition, that one can aquire more during play. The admonishions exist, I think, simply to say that the players (including narrator) should be comfortable with such an aquisition. That can mean different things for different groups. Plausibility of said aquisition usually being an important criteria.

As long as you're doing justice to your game, you should let players take as many natural magic abilities as make the character fun.

>Okay, more generally said: Wherever you put an ability, it doesn't
>count towards the free abilities the player gets in that category. Or
>you use a seemingly common house rule if the new ability overlaps with
>an existing one the player might get from somewhere else and apply a
>bonus. But that's a different story.

I think you have some workable ideas here. The theory behind this, too, happens to be extremely complicated. If you're interested, there have been some discussions on the MOLAD fora regarding it. One take is simply that you can't add abilities to keywords... they're all already there. Any new magic ability you take, no matter how linked it seems to be to the keyword, begins at 13 as an "other" ability... Common Magic being an exception to this rule.

That's one take, there are several others.

Mike

Mortgage refinance is Hot. *Terms. Get a 5.375%* fix rate. Check savings https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2bbb&disc=y&vers=925&s=4056&p=5117