RE: Re: QW - How many augments (to Mr Laws)

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:28:55 -0500

>From: "Mandacaru" <samclau_at_...>
>
> > I avouid this, largely, by only having one character involved in
>the vast
> > majority of contests.
>
>Yes, but you are clever like that, albeit, ultimately, fallible ;-)

Fallible doesn't begin... The point being that I don't think that I'm really all that much more clever than the average bear (that reference might be lost on those outside the US). I know lots of folks who use these techniques just fine.

>Yes but, a very simple example, which I posted here before... Two
>players, Paul and Bryan, post successive, great actions involving a
>giant. Normally I'd be looking for a single simple contest but both
>have come up with fun stuff and a bunch of augments, all sensible,
>fun etc. In the past I have stacked all the skills and it has
>worked, but the numbers have been pretty big. In this case I
>diverted things into a chained contest, but I get this situation a
>lot.

Look to see if they actually have the same goals. Often players have slightly varying goals, even if the action seems the same. Turns out one is out to kill the giant, but the other just wants to get his gold. That's two separate contests.

(This all in addition to the stuff I always say about having players set their own scenes, and pushing the story on their own, yadda, yadda).

Mike

MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.� Enter to win today. http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline