Re: Theism question

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:52:42 -0700

> What we're going to need at some point is a list of all the things that
> particular gods got up to so we know the sorts of improvisations we should
> be trying. What we don't want is to have to hunt through loads of
published
> material looking for references here, there and everywhere in the actual
> myths. What I envisage is something like:
>
> Is this something we're going to have to do ourselves or will Issaries be
> putting out this sort of information in their supplements?

Yes. :-)

There is no way that Issaries can write the entire mythological history of Glorantha in the next 100 years. There are too many other world beings, too many cultures with their own myths, etc. So there will be some "backstory of the gods" in Issaries products, but a lot will remain to be filled in by the players.

Part of the design goal behind HW was to allow the *players* to make up myths on the spot - "We need to get past the king's bodyguards" "Uh, what about the time that King Arlan's guard was was distracted by Heler and Yinkin was able to get in to see the Queen?" "When did that happen?" "Um, just before the Lightbringers quest. That's why the Arlanings hate Yinkini, and why every so often an Arlaning is born with a furry tail". Wow! instant myth with Heler and Yinkin, a mythologically resonant way to get past the guards, and some extra cultural stuff thrown in to boot (Arlanings hate Yinkin, and some are allegedly born with furry tails)! Will it show up in an Issaries publication? Probably not. Will that make it any less real in your version of Glorantha? I dunno, have you not invented anything in a game before? Only ever played from the books?

Roderick