Re: Tracking Multiple Actions within Extended Contests

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:58:02 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

It sounds like you're mixing up means and ends. Both sides have the same goal: "Kill 'em all," it's just the means that's different. Personally I'd do it as one contest, either extended or simple, take yer pick.

If you do it as extended then the size of the bids is determined by what the players say on a round by round basis.

If the horsemen say: "That's it, we start rolling and we don't stop 'til we flatten them" that's everything they've got. If they say "We skirt about, feinting to test their maneuverability and firepower" that's 3 points.

If the archers say: "We stand our ground, not giving an inch" that's all in. "As soon as they move, we fire a volley and run further up the hill" is a 3 pointer.

The abilities you use can vary on a round to round basis as well. If the horsemen say "We'll run away then come back around from the right flank" this might be time to bid the horseman leader's "I studied under Fazzur" against the archers leader's "Nothing in war surprises me anymore." The full out charge might use something as mundane as "weapon and shield" augmented by the horse's "gallop" or it could be just a straight roll of "We're the biggest band of nutters ever to sit on horseback" against "I stare into the face of wyrms and tell them to clean their teeth."

I've run something similar - a bunch of Trolls trying to close down a bunch of adventurers on foot. For the first three of four rounds both sides were making small bids trying to work out what each other's target number was and using unrelated actions to enhance their own.

Interestingly, when the Trolls had done everything they could at the end of it all the main ability used was "We kill for Cragspider" against "I know the Tula like the back of my hand."

Cheers,

Ash