Re: HW Augments. Anyone tried going back?

From: clanmorrell <keme_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:54:53 -0000

In the years since HQ came out, and the time during playtesting the HQ rules, we reached some conclusions.
  1. Keep extended contests reserved for those nice big battles, usually at the end of chapters. For 95% of contests, simple was good enough. There was another reason for this, and it nods back to any power-gamer who maxes out on his augments. They also usually buy themselves a handful of retainers who will give them a large amount of additional AP's. First round they bid the whole amount, and because of their huge adjusted ability rating, they usually prevailed. The enemy was defeated, and the extended contest over in a single round before any other player got a turn.
  2. We still had players who would prefer the round by round combat, so in avoiding extended contests we still managed to give them what they wanted through simple contests. Each round was wrapped up as usual simple contests, a defeat for the enemy removed them from the combat, a defeat for the hero took them out of combat. With multiple participants, once one hero went down, another who had been victorious in their contest filled the gap. Another contest began. We did this round by round until all of one side was defeated. This also let any defeated heroes the chance to bring themselves back into the melee. It worked very well.
  3. With preparation we allowed automatic augments. If pressed for time, or surprised, then the hero had to roll for each augment they wanted. This was essentially because of time required in casting spells, some other augments really didn't need a roll but we enforced it anyway.
  4. He had to keep to the rules for retainers, in that they either augmented or gave AP's. Before we had allowed both, but it ended up in misuse.
  5. Ranged combat was handy because they always got their attack in first, regardless of initiative.
  6. We adopted the rating of the primary ability (less all augments) at the indicator for simple contest initiative, and as the measure of how many AP's you got in an extended contest. We then used your AP bid as the initiative for extended contests, but that was heavily misused, especially with retainers lending in their own AP's.

Hmm. That's all I can think of right now.