Re: Re: HW Augments. Anyone tried going back?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:57:39 -0500

On 4/30/07, Jamie <anti.spam_at_...> wrote:
> If a player said "can I tell anything about this guy by his clothes?"
> I would tell them the obvious extrapolated facts on a "say Yes" basis,
> but if they wanted to dig deeper I might say "lets find out" and roll
> dice. Unless the player wants to make a feature of their Holmsian
> deductions these kinds of situations don't really need augments, just
> a quick consultation with the mechanics tells us how much or how
> little he can glean.
>
> The player, knowing that I am winging this part will happily not
> bother with augments because he knows that its not a big issue, but if
> he gets a cool result that could make it interesting, and I would be
> open to suggestions on how that would be interpreted. Its better IMO
> than just saying no or just telling them the basics.

Sometime, I sometimes use the character's abilities as a threshold rather than rolling. The number of masteries and/or the rating of the ability is used determine the degree of success. Sometimes when I do this, I ask the player to give me an appropriate ability to use, and the player will start to add augments to affect the final number used, even though no dice are rolled. This is based on the player's inclination to augment, so I usually don't interfere unless the augments start to pile up too thickly. As a service to the players who are less inclined to augment, I sometimes help them out by suggesting a couple of likely augmenting abilities.

Thanks,
Andy