Re: Kolating spirit hunting.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 00:55:26 +1200

At 10:40 p.m. 3/05/2007, you wrote:
>Unfortunately I am still having difficulty in getting my head around
>HQ anamism. I have
>a Kolating practitioner in the game I run and the player is keen on
>having his hero bind
>any spirit he encounters. I am not really sure how to play this,
>though I have several
>alternatives. :-)

>1) He can't do this until he becomes a shaman (the approach I have
>at the moment)

Practitioners can only bind friendly or neutral spirits within their tradition into a charm
or fetish (if the spirit is hostile or it is foreign then it can be bound) - HQ p137 1st para
under _Practice Spirits and Charms_. Shamans on the other hand can do - HQ p140
last statement about fetches.

>2) He can do this and uses Worship Kolat ability to bind the
>spirit. The spirit becomes
>a common magic charm with rating 13 (but can be increased).

Most spirits are from the spirit world and hence not common magic. Spirits of the Landscape
on the other hand can have charms made from them as per Heroquest p148. This is not
binding the spirit into a charm but taking part of a spirit with you.

Secondly if practice spirits cannot be increased then it would be odd that strange
spirits that he encounters could be.

>3) He can do this and uses Worship Kolat ability to bind the
>spirit. The spirit becomes a
>practice/tradition charm with the spirit's ability intact (but can
>not be changed).

Kolat does not confer a worship Kolat ability. What his followers do have is Follower of
the Seven Winds. Secondly a spirit can't be made part of the Kolat tradition simply
because a Kolati met it. The spirits of the Kolati tradition are the part and parcel of
Kolat's mythology.

>4) He can do this and uses Worship Kolat ability to befriend the
>spirit. The spirit becomes
>bound into a fetish and he gains a relationship at 13.

He can befriend any spirit that he meets. But unless he is a shaman, he does not
have the ability to persuade it into a fetish because he lacks the spiritual insight.

>Any ideas?

Give him a special ability known as wrestle spirits or have him join a special subcult. Any strange spirit that he meets and defeats must provide one service
to him (ie the same effect as releasing a practice spirit from a festish) before
being allowed to leave.

--Peter Metcalfe