Withdrawing From ECs

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:07:40 -0500

>From: "Jamie" <anti.spam_at_...>
>
>As a side point Mike mentioned "Giving" and I wonder how many people
>use the "withdrawing from an extended contest" rules for this effect.
>In HQ a withdrawing character is not left with a result for the
>contest but it can provide a suitable end and the situation can
>usually suggest a result.

Not sure if this is an explicit rule, but it seems to make sense to me that if the opposition doesn't want to accept a withdrawl from an EC, they don't have to do so. That is, the way I think of it, if you accept surrender, there is no penalty given to the surendering party. If you want to inflict a penalty, you have to say, "No thanks, let's continue" accepting the possibility that the contest may turn against you.

The text is clear about this: you can change your goal to trying to exit the contest. But that doesn't mean that the contest ends. Merely that if you win, all you get is an exit (as opposed to whatever you wanted originally). The reason to do this is because you may figure that the abilities you might be able to use in exiting give you a better chance at doing so than if you keep going with the abilities that you have been using. Or just beacause you think your character would cut and run at the point in question.

So I think that the rules cover everything from this POV.

Now, what can a captor do to a prisoner who has surrendered? Well, that's another question entirely. But I usually require it to be part of some subsequent contest if we want to give somebody a penalty. I don't assign them arbitrarily based on situation.

Just me.

Mike

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.