Re: Tracking Multiple Actions withinExtended Contests

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 01:45:32 -0000

> There's nothing as fun as creating a conflict out of somebody
succeeding too
> well. My favorite, and one that works in a lot of situations, is to
have an
> NPC who wants the same thing become jealous of the character's
success. "You
> just got lucky, you don't deserve these accolades! Meet me at dawn, and
> we'll see who the real devotee is!"

I'm a bit torn on that. To me it seems that a higher level of victory should be simply a better thing than a lower level one. So I could see the result of a marginal victory, especially in something that is hard to judge marginal status on, to have a side effect like this.

To me this brings flash backs to spirit summoning in RQ3, where when you rolled a critical you would get something more powerful than you intended (which may then eat your brain). That was an extreme case (albeit one that created great amusement in one game where a sorceror set up use every advantage to bring in a powerful spirit--and then rolled a critical on top of it....), but it illustrates the point. Would you want the result of a critical success to be that your brain gets eaten? No. In general should doing really well be worse than doing sort of well? I don't think so.

On the other hand, if you win because of heaps of augments, and some of those are dodgy, that almost seems like an invitation to side effects....

--Bryan