Conflict from Victory

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 12:50:39 -0500

>From: "Bryan" <bethexton_at_...>
>
>I'm a bit torn on that. To me it seems that a higher level of victory
>should be simply a better thing than a lower level one.

I think that, in fact, it's unavoidable that the consequences of some victories will lead to trouble. I'm not talking about direct consequences of a contest. In my example, I don't say, "Huh, Complete Victory, let's find a way to screw it up!" I say, "Huh, Complete Victory, he did great. With it come accolades and all. What happens for the character next. I need some new conflict for him. Hmm. How about somebody feels that they're jealous of this new success?"

I mean, with every contest result there can be potential follow on consequences that are just the narrator doing what he narrator does. "OK, it's three days after the fight in the woods where your character got wounded. A young girl sees that you're injured, and comes over to aid you. It turns out that she's your long lost sister!"

I should avoid having the young girl come to the characters aid, because it somehow that would be aiding the character, and making the injury result somehow a good thing?

There's a point at which the ramifications of the contest cease to be calculated, cease to be indicative of ongoing events. After that point, it's back to GM fiat in terms of what comes down the road at the character. If it makes sense to create a conflict from some outcome of a prior success, then I'll do that, and I don't think anyone will complain.

Given that the players expect me to create trouble for them - that's the narrator's primary role I feel - I think it would be very odd of them to protest an opportunity for more fun.

Is there some that might be crossed here, where the rules are being voided? Sure, that would be bad play, IMO. All I'm saying is that you can do what I'm saying without crossing that line.

Mike

PC Magazine�s 2007 editors� choice for best Web mail�award-winning Windows Live Hotmail.