Re: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: Glorantha, HeroQuest and metamagic (moved from WoG)

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 23:26:21 +0100

On 6/2/07, Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...> wrote:

> >> A nice narrator might waive some cost to make a
> >> strong relationship :-).
> >
> > Or in other words, you might have to ignore the rules
> > because they don't work...
>
> "Ignoring the rules" has been a part of roleplaying since White-Box D&D.
> It's usually written right into the rules, and in HeroQuest it's the First
> Rule on page 10: "Play the story, not the rules" (as opposed to the First
> Rule on page 177: "YGWV").
>
> >> While I agree that the Char Gen system doesn't give
> >> you that "Love Wife 10W"
> >> that your character description seems to indicate,
> >> it also doesn't give you
> >> that "Clan Champion level Swordsmanship 10w3" that
> >> your description would indicate, either.
> >
> > No, but that's not the same case at all. Your
> > interpretation of the rules (which seems on the face
> > of it to be reasonable), combined with the chargen
> > rules, says that not only can you not have "clan
> > champion" in there in any useful way (reasonable), you
> > can't have "married" either. And "married" isn't
> > exactly an exotic or advanced idea.
>
> Sure you can have "Married", just not at Hero-level to start. If your
> relationship is that important to your character, use your chargen points
> raise it to 7w (Since "Relationship to Family" is a part of every Homeland
> keyword, it starts at 17). Buy it up with Hero Points during the course of
> the game.
>
> RR
> He was born with the gift of laughter and the sense that the world was mad
> R. Sabatini, Scaramouche

I thought this point was coming from the comment

>figuring that if you're not "In love 5w", you're not really In
>Love, I suppose - "In Love 17" is pretty weak, and would probably fall
under
>"potential partner"

 from your post that started this topic; in which case, the problem is that no PC can be 'in love' at the start of play, as (unless it somehow comes from a keyword) the highest rating available is 3w - base 13, + 10 of their precious, precious 20 points. Married is of course different, as you point out - it's easy to justify off a homeland keyword. Then it just costs 8 points.

Even so, if that's the boundary for really being in love, I doubt many PCs will pass that hurdle - those points are scarce enough as it is, so unless someone really wants to make a point of it, they won't be in love. Which I would feel is a shame.

For my game, having the relationship 'In Love with X' is enough, no matter what level it's at. Potential partners wouldn't need to have relationships yet. Obviously, higher levels would mean more, and give more benefits - and I'd love to have a PC with epic levels of such a relationship. That's the plan for my PC if I ever get to play.

Or set relationships at whatever level seems appropriate, of course - but as you point out above, many players aren't comfortable with that.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."