Re: Re: Defending against magic with mundane

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 10:36:26 -0700

> I specifically disallow this. Magic is much more expensive to develop
> than mundane abilities, anywhere from x2 to x6. It is a bit clunky
> sure, but I much prefer it after road testing both approaches.

You know, I was thinking about this the other day, and I now see no reason that magic (Theist and Sorcery, specifically - Animism has costs based on how powerful your spirit is, and that seems correct to me) should be more expensive than other abilities. Yes, you may get a whole slew of abilities in an Affinity, but you can only use one at a time - you can't augment your Combat Affinity Feat with another Combat Affinity Feat. (And all other abilities can have a "whole slew of abilities" hidden in them, if used creatively)

Now, in HW, you *could* use multiple feats from an affinity to augment, making a single affinity a powerhouse, but nowadays, you still only get one "use" out of an affinity (or Grimoire).

So I've come to the conclusion that Magic should have the same HP cost as other abilities (and to heck with the different costs for Concentrated or not).

(probably nothing will come of this in the next edition of the rules, but hey, this is *my* opinion).

RR