Re: Re: Effects of Misapplied Worship

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:42:27 -0700

I'm going to simplify the questions, and re-arrange them so you don't have to read the book backwards (I hear Something Really Bad(tm) happens if you do).

Feats from Affinities

  a.. Initiate, Unconcentrated - Augment only. Exception: Active use at -10. May not Cement or improve (HQ 118)
  b.. Initiate, Concentrated - Augment only. Exception: Active use at -5. May not Cement or improve (HQ 118)
  c.. Devotee - Active or Augment. No Penalty. May Cement and/or Improve ratings of individual feats (HQ 120)
Affinities from Subcults
  a.. Initiate, Unconcentrated - Augment only. Exception: Active use at -10. May not Cement or improve individual feats (HQ 118)
  b.. Initiate, Concentrated - Augment only. Exception: Active use at -5. May not Cement or improve individual feats (HQ 118)
  c.. Devotee - Augment only. Exception: Active use at -5. May not Cement or improve individual feats (HQ 118)
Standalone Feats from Subcults
(Includes "cherrypicking" feats out of affinities)
  a.. Initiate, Unconcentrated - Augment only. Exception: Active use at -10. May improve (HQ 118)
  b.. Initiate, Concentrated - Augment only. Exception: Active use at -5. May improve (HQ 118)
  c.. Devotee - Active or Augment. No Penalty. May Improve ratings of individual feats (HQ 120)
Common Magic Feats
  a.. Unconcentrated - Augment only. (HQ 104)   b.. Concentrated - May be Active or Augment (HQ 118) Misapplied Magic
As feats from Affinties, Unconcentrated Initiate, above. (Concentration gives no benefits in misapplied worship, so no Concentrated Initiate or Devotee levels)

++++++++++++++
End of simple(!) table, complicated section follows. ++++++++++++++

Note on Subcults
Not that the "Cement or improve" section changes for "Feats from Affinities" and "Feats from Subcults". The reason for this is that you may learn standalone feats, but they won't benefit from improvements to the Affinity they nominally belong to (until you become a devotee of the subcult).

Also, a Devotee learning the Affinity of a subcult is treated as a Concentrated Initiate, not as a Devotee - he loses the "Use as active" capability.

Example:
Joe is an Orlanth Vanganth Initiate, Unconcentrated. He can use Vanganth's affinities as Augment only, etc. (see above)

He want to fight dragons, so he picks up Orvanshaagor magic. He picks Dodge Dragon Breath as a stand-alone feat. This is normally part of the Movement Affinity, but because Joe is only an Initiate, he has to learn it as a standalone feat. He now has:
Combat Affinity 17
Fly Affinity 17
Movement Affinity 17
Dodge Dragon Breath 17

He improves his Movement affinity, but that improvement does not include Dodge Dragon Breath. He now has: Movement Affinity 18
Dodge Dragon Breath 17

To make it more complicated:
Later, he decides to become a Devotee of Vanganth, and now he can use feats as active abilities with no penalties. Dodge Dragon Breath *still* does not join the Movement Affinity, because he is not a Devotee of Orvanshagor. However, he can now use it actively with no penalty.

To make it even more complicated:
He finally decides to become a Devotee of Orvanshagor. He now adds DDB to his Movement Afifnity - but notice that his "Fly Against Wind" feat from Vanganth becomes a Standalone feat, and His Flight affinity is now in the "Affinity from Subcult" category, and he can't use it actively! He now has
Movement Affinity 18 (includes DDB and leap onto Dragon) Fly Against Wind 17.

>> Did I get that lot right? (And is the next edition of
>> the rules going to be simpler? Please?)

I do hope so.

RR