Re: character creation; mythology

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:10:48 -0700

One more note: the descriptive method almost always gives you more than 10 abilities. It's also not as scary as it sounds (especially since you don't have to complete all 100 words the first time you play the character).

I know a few groups have had trouble with it, but I highly recommend using the narrative approach (and not just to minimax more skills). It's one of the cool aspects of the game.

David

> >Mythology is obviously very important in being able to improvise feats from
> >abilities. This does tend to make it necessary to have a pretty good idea of
> >what your god up to, not just in his own myths but in other peoples (I
> >recall Humakt making a guest appearance on the Yinkin / Orlanth one).
>
>My understanding is that in the Seattle Farmers Collective
>games, it has been acceptable to make up an appropriate myth on the
>spot if nothing known fits particularly well. This was certainly
>encouraged in some contexts in at least some drafts of the HW rules.

Yes, we did (and my memory is hazy, but we may have been doing this before Hero Wars). One example is at
<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/kerenath07.html>

>it helps if, like the SFC, you have several
>players with a vast knowledge of Gloranthan myth and legend.

We certainly had a vast knowledge of what we made up on the spot... I maintain the myth I made up (above) required only a trivial knowledge of Orlanth (that he had a bullroarer is about the only serious knowledge).

I agree this seems scarier than even writing 100 words, but it's not as bad as it sounds (though it can take as long).

The basic ideas:

  1. There are a zillion myths.
  2. Your heroes are far more likely to know them than you the player (they've had 20 years to learn them).
  3. The myth should be vaguely relevant, but doesn't have to be a perfect match for the situation.
  4. Your myth should translate to several tests.
  5. It doesn't have to be very detailed.

So in Roderick's example,

>"We need to get past the king's bodyguards" "Uh, what
>about the time that King Arlan's guard was was distracted by Heler and
>Yinkin was able to get in to see the Queen?" "When did that happen?" "Um,
>just before the Lightbringers quest. That's why the Arlanings hate Yinkini,
>and why every so often an Arlaning is born with a furry tail".

  1. This is one of the many obscure myths (or myth fragments). Most Gloranthans wouldn't know it.
  2. Yup, the hero knew it, even if none of the players did until now.
  3. Not necessarily a perfect match, since you might be going to see the queen.
  4. Seems like a distraction and a sneak are called for (plus anything the narrator wants to add -- sounds like the queen won't let the Yinkini go without a little favor :-)
  5. It's pretty simple

Stepping back, the original question was related to feats. I think in general you need to look at the affinity as much as the deity. If you're improvising a Rain feat (for Heler), then just thinking about rain magic could give you Blinding Rainstorm -- you don't need the myth of how Heler distracted the guards.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein