Re: One System to Rule Them All

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:00:56 +0100 (BST)

Watcha all,

Combat is too much of a special case in the rules as regards equipment. If you want it to make a difference go and buy your character an ability to reprsent it. If it doesn't have an ability rating then just ignore it.

In addition the extra abilities add some more focus to your characters. Instead of getting +3 from a sword you can get it from "My Sword from Grizzly Peak 5W" or "I haven't wielded a sword I can't kill with 5w." If you sword's important to the story then build up the abilities that represent it.

Anyone remember Trollpak? What's cooler - an ability "Bladger my axe" that can become a catch phrase or a boring bonus that sends everyone comatose?

On a slightly cynical note I've never played in a HQ game that had the same level of detail applied to non-combat equipment, so why make it a special case? Also I bet that most people automatically add the +6 (or whatever) from their combat equipment to their abilities without even narrating it most of the time.

(Oh, and I'm sure that there are loads of people out there that do provide extensive tables of bonuses or use ad-hoc bonuses for non-combat equipement like that. More power to your elbows.)

Another thing to consider is that an ability score represents the character's chance to succeed in a conflict, it doesn't represent skill in doing something. Your character may be perfectly able to beat someone sparring but when the chips are down (i.e. something narratively important happens so we have to grab the dice) he may never overcome his or her obstacles.

Cheers,

Ash